Monday, July 17, 2006

I conquered Gunung NuanG

Yesterday, together with friends, I conquered the highest mountain in Selangor, the Gunung Nuang at 1493m (4898feet).
Around 8.50am, 10 of us, we equipped ourselves with walkie-talkies, split into 4 groups (Eagle 1,2,3,4). We took about 3 and ½ hours to reach the 2nd base camp, Pacat Campsite by 12.20pm. We took 15 min break, and then we proceed to the summit. Unfortunately, some of the membes gave up before reaching the summit. They returned to the base camp.
However, Shu Yee, Michael and I insist to hit the summit. Starting from the base camp to the summit, we have to use our both hands to climb up. With the encouragement and support among us, we pushed ourselves to the limit even though we were tired and legs were full with Lactic Acid, made us feel the pain after the exhaustive climbing. At last, we reached the summit by 2.40pm. As the time was getting late, we must go down before 3pm. We stayed there for about 15min, and then we started to climb down. By then, unfortunately, my shoe tore off. With the heavy mist, and the wet mud, steep hill, it was even tougher for me. At 5.30pm, we met up with the other members who were still waiting us at the base camp, and we started to move down. By the time, everybody was extremely tired. I myself, almost exhausted on the way down. We move slowly, and the day was getting dark. We could just follow the trail with a small torch-light we had.
Finally, we managed to reach the registration office by 8.10pm. We changed our muddy clothes, and heading to grab some food.
It was quite a good experience. It reminded me the Mt. Kinabalu I climbed 3 years ago. I would say it is not less tough than that. Maybe I was not well prepared this round. Also, I learned a lesson here, if I were to go Gunung Tahan, I must be well trained in physically and mentality. Because Gunung Tahan climbing is like climbing Gunung Nuang for 5-6 days continuously from 8.30pm – 6 or 7pm daily. Now, one round up and down, my legs, knees and the joints all every painful already. Going up or down staircase, like killing me…arrrrr……..

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo!

四眼仔 said...

Think we are going to climb to the top once again this coming Sunday. Everybody thinking to conquer Gunung Tahan, so treat this as a training base... hahaa...Maybe you'll see us more often after this....

Anonymous said...

Ev said..

Great! Fantastic! I m goin to conquer Gunung Nuang too with my super duper frens..And so..for Mount KK =)